There are numerous Flickr add-ons out there that can help you maximize your experience with the popular photo sharing site. Between numerous browser-based Flickr add-ons and extensions for Firefox, there are many different tools out there to make the site easier to use.
What Is an Add-On?
An add-on is any type of tool that can help you use Flickr without going to the website, making it easier and often more convenient to use the service. Popular types of Flickr add-ons often tie into the Firefox web browser. Users who rely on the available add-ons find that the tools make them more likely to use Flickr. Simply put, an add-on makes it more pleasurable to use the site. Cons of Flickr-add ons include visitors not visiting Flickr.com as much. While this might not seem like a con, the social-based site features functions that you can't use outside of the website.
Short List of Flickr Add-Ons
Are you looking into potentially using a few Flickr add-ons to optimize your experience with the site? If so, you're in luck. There are numerous add-ons that you can begin using in no time to enjoy Flickr that much more.
- Uploader for Flickr: This add-on allows you to upload photos straight from the browser extension. It can also run in the background so you can browse the web in another tab while your photos upload. Of course, with quick speeds, you probably won't need to worry about uploading taking that long.
- Better Flickr: One of the most popular add-ons out there, Better Flickr provides numerous options to users. Default scripts that you can use in the platform include showing comment counts on thumbnails, enhancing the photo page with additional links, and adding extra user links. The goal of this add-on is to provide a richer experience to Flickr users. This add-on also requires you to visit the Flickr site but promises that it will be worth it.
- Flickr Notifier: This handy RSS tool displays Flickr friend updates.
- Folder Monitor: Do you always forget to upload your photos to Flickr? You can set this background app to monitor a folder on your computer. When there are photos added to that folder, the add-on will go ahead and upload them to your Flickr acccount.
- Flickr Tag Related Browser: This add-on lets you search through photos on Flickr based on the keywords those photos are tagged with. This can allow you to scan through the photos you'd like to see without spending time sifting through the photos you don't want to see.
- Flickr Color Pickr: Using this handy tool, you can set the color bar to a particular color. It will then return photos on Flickr that feature that color. The nifty tool can be used for fun or for professional purposes if you are looking for color-based photographs and photographers.
Find More Add-Ons
While Flickr isn't known for the number of add-ons the site has produced, there are so many tools out there that it would be impossible to cover them all in one or two articles. Figure out what type of cool functionality you would like a plug-in for the site to have and go out there and look for it. There is likely already a Flickr add-on that does exactly what you want it to do! Some great places to find additional add-ons include:
- The Firefox Add-On Directory: While many of the add-ons are for other sites and services, there are several dozen to help with Flickr.
- CNET Download.com: Another directory of downloads, search here for the Flickr add-on of your dreams to see if someone else has already come up with it!
- Flickr: Some cooler add-ons and tools can be found on Flickr's own download page.